Old 21-03-2004, 12:09 PM
Nick Maclaren

Default Long handled tools (again)

In article ,
Trevor Appleton wrote:
I seemed to have missed a thread in early March on long handled tools. As a
6ft 5ins gardener with a bad back I have been looking out for such for years
without success.

And you can't even buy rake handles any more - so you can't make
your own. It might be possible to get 1.25" hardwood dowelling in
8' lengths and trim it down, but even that isn't easy.

As far as a fork goes, I have something called a Power Digger
(Spear and Jackson?), which is enough longer to help a great deal.
I am only 6'2" and my back is only mildly bad, so it is enough.
Wheelbarrows are a pain, though I don't do all that much heavy
moving.

You also need a short fork for thing like moving compost, of course.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.