Old 21-03-2004, 02:47 PM
Ann

Default Orchids

Tom Randy expounded:

(Liz Harket) wrote in
. com:

Has anyone any hints on growing orchids from scratch. I have one
bulb( I'm not even sure if that is what they are called) which has aa
shoot about seven inches long, how long before it will flower? I have
some others waiting to be planted. Can they be outside in pots? I
have been told it will be alright provided the temperature is above 5
degrees. Did anyone go to the 10th orchid festival at Kew Gardens -
amazing!

Are you sure it is an orchid? No orchid I'm aware of will stand freezing
temperatures. Is there a tag or some kind of indentification for this
"bulb"?

As Cheryl said, there are many orchids, including ladyslipper orchids
(Cypripedium acaule) that grow wild here in New England and withstand
freezing temperatures just fine. The original poster needs to know
what type of orchid she has before anyone can offer any cultural
information.

--
Ann, Gardening in zone 6a
Just south of Boston, MA