Old 21-03-2004, 02:49 PM
Janice

Default Chainsaw?

On Fri, 19 Mar 2004 12:33:10 GMT, Frogleg wrote:

I want to get a chainsaw for yard cleanip, but I don't have a lot of
money. In fact, I have *no* money, but I do have a WalMart gift card.
The cheapest model they have is a Remington electric. They also have
some Poulan and Snapper gas models for twice the price. What I want to
do is prune some severely overgrown bushes and trees with max.
trunk/branch diameter of 3" or so.

Any thoughts on advantages/dis- for gas and electric? I'm not looking
to cut down mighty oaks. I could do most of the work with a bow saw,
but there's a *lot* to be done and my arm gets very tired after one
cut.

Rent one, save yourself the hassle of maintenance.. sharpening fees,
rebuild fees. If you get a gas one, you have to learn to tinker or
take it to the shop a lot, even if it runs ok, sharpening sharpening,
lots of sharpening. You could buy the files, and a guide to sharpen it
correctly, then if it's gas make sure that the gas tank is either run
completely dry in the fall, or make sure you put fuel stabilizers in
it or you will have to have the whole thing cleaned out in the spring
when you want to use it.

Once you've used it to clean up your yard this year, what are you
going to do with it? You going to start cutting firewood?

Cheaper in the long run to rent one. But be careful, kickback can
cause you to cut limbs you don't want to cut!

Janice