Old 21-03-2004, 03:00 PM
Hal

Default Salt ...

On Sat, 20 Mar 2004 19:32:27 -0600, "Bill Kerrell"
wrote:

Now that winter is over and the algie is in full bloom .. so it seems. I was wondering about resalting. Our pond was put in in July of last year. We had added salt to start, now is it time to resalt and how much? Our pond is 1500 gallons. Do I broadcast

it or put it throught the filter?
Thanks,
Bill - Pensacola, F

I don't usually add salt this time of year. Fish need relatively
little salt in the water for osmoregulation, but I believe it may be
more beneficial to add .1% salt during the winter when the fish immune
system isn't fully working. The added salt stimulates the slime coat
and helps to ward off parasites as the immune system is waking up when
the water temperature warms back into the 50's. I'm past that this
year and I'm 150 miles North of the Florida border.

For next winter add .888 pounds per hundred gallons for a .1%
solution.

Regards,

Hal