Old 21-03-2004, 04:43 PM
K Barrett

Default You Think YOU Had a Disaster?

Ditto. One person's growing environment isn't like a second person's - even
though they grow next door to each other. Shit like this happens all the
time, especially with specimen sized plants. The plant liked its old home,
and resents being moved. Stop treating it. It may still adapt to your
place. Not this year, but next. It may just pine away. In either case
you'll have to depend on the inner robustness of the plant to produce basal
growths in order to infill where the leaves dropped. Or produce new roots
higher up so you can top it. In either case it won't do any of that if its
being even more bothered by your well intended helpful treatment. ****es
you off, don't it? I agree. I have a V coerulea keiki from an FCC plant
that is still pining away for its old home in Oakland.

K Barrett

"Ray" wrote in message
Diana,

It sounds like the plant underwent some very drastic change, either in the
hands of the previous owner not long before you got it, en route between

the
two of you, or once you got it.

I also suspect it's environmental, not a pest - to me it sounds like cold
exposure. Stop martinizing it with chemicals - a fungicide maybe, but
enough already.

. . . . . . . . . . .
"Diana Kulaga" wrote in message
hlink.net...
Okay, mice eating orchids is nasty, no doubt. I have a different

problem.

Two weeks ago I purchased a mature Ascocentrum (Judy Fister) from

another
member of my society. She is scaling down, moving to smaller place, and

have bought a few other plants from her.

This plant is specimen size. It was loaded with spikes - too many to

count.
It went from her environment directly to mine, and the two are

identical.
By the pool, growing under screening, same light exposure.

The day after I brought it home the spikes started to blast. I sprayed

for
thrips, just in case. Two days later, the leaves started to blacken. I
treated for fungus with Physan. Today, I cut off 28 shriveled spikes,

and
there are a good many more that need to go. I do see some new ones

starting.
I hit the whole plant with a bucket of alcohol/soap. Yesterday I hit it
with alcohol/cinnamon. I plucked dead leaf after dead leaf from this

plant.

In all, I have taken four plants from the same person. One, a Catt, is
doing fabulously well, and is growing very near the Vanda in question.
Another, Den. anosmum (superbum) is about to bloom and is healthy as a
horse. The fourth is another Vanda that I got from her some months

back,
and it went downhill immediately after I brought it home. I have seen

her
grow area, and the plants are in great shape.

Am I missing something about the life span of Vandas? Is it possible

that
they, unlike so many other orchids, are limited as to how long they will
thrive?

I am *p*d off here. What am I doing wrong, if anything? Right now, I

just
want to save this plant, if I can......

Diana