Old 21-03-2004, 07:08 PM
Rod

Default Cuttings

On Sun, 21 Mar 2004 17:00:53 -0000, "SH" wrote:

I take cuttings of anything that grows in the greenhouse and put them in my
electric propagator.
I'll try anything including plants for hanging baskets bought from the
nursery in individual pots (65p each).
Usually I am successful - in fact 2 years ago when my tomato's got stretched
I took cuttings off the top which produced some nice strong short jointed
plants.
Is there anything that doesn't work??

S :-)

The ones that died!

In theory no :-)
The theory goes that pretty well anything will root if you can keep it
alive and healthy for long enough without decay and moulds etc getting
hold. The things that don't work or are known to be 'difficult' are
the ones that take a long time. This is where the art/science of the
propagator kicks in. You need to know and provide the conditions
needed to induce quick rooting in these difficult plants. You also
need to be able to recognise at an early stage that things aren't
going to plan and tweak the conditions accordingly - the horticultural
equivalent of 'stockmanship'

Rod

Weed my email address to reply