Old 22-03-2004, 03:13 AM
Elaine Jones

Default Lack of invertebrates / house sparrows (was Reed Buntings)

Quoting from message
posted on 21 Mar 2004 by Colonel Bloomer
I would like to add:

On Sun, 21 Mar 2004 22:22:23 -0000, "ned" wrote:

Colonel Bloomer wrote:

big snip

Interesting points and quite feasible. However I don't wear it, in

my
garden the mags live happily side by side with the other birdies and

cant recall the last time I saw a bird of prey here, so not that
common I'd guess.

Magpies are corvids (crow family) and are scavengers. At nesting time
their opportunistic instincts take over and they thieve any eggs and
fledgelings they can find. Whether that equates to happy co-existance
is a matter of debate. :-))

Opportunistic and actively seeking out are completely different
issues, certainly in my garden the mags will not actively seek out
birds nests or chicks. Last year we successfully saw blackbird and
blue tit chicks leave the nest.

Magpies will actively seek the nests of domestic hens, whether in hedge-
bottoms or nesting boxes inside henhouses - the reason why Dad always had
a catapult and pile of pebbles to hand.

As stated above magpies will thieve eggs and fledglings. Magpies are on
the increase and are pests+++.

--
....ElaineJ... Home Pages and FAQ of uk.food+drink.indian can be viewed at
....Kinetic... http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/ejones/ufdi/index.html