Old 22-03-2004, 04:45 AM
Ricky

Default Fast growing shade tree-Florida

"chaz" wrote in message
Need to get Ricky's input here!!!

"Bill" wrote I'm looking for a fastgrowing

shade tree for my front yard. I live in
Florida. Any ideas.

Thanks,
Bill

Here I am. Just got back from running a barbecue contest in Macon, GA.
OK, shade trees for Florida, eh?

Well if you can plant it at least 30 feet away from a house, plant a Ficus.
Just plan on root pruning twice a year.
Bulnesia arborea (Verawood) is a moderate to fast grower with a terminal
height of around 50 feet. Also Tipuana tipu is a moderate to fast grower.
Both have yellow flowers for at least 4 months of the year.

Someone else suggested Oak - nah, this tree looks like Phyllis Diller on a
bad hair day.

Royal Poinciana (Delonix regia) is a beautiful shade tree that goes
deciduous twice a year. Can't beat those orange flowers!
And last but not least... take a ride around your neighborhood and see what
you like. Anything big and shady has been there a long time and it should
work on your property as well.