Old 22-03-2004, 04:47 AM
Grandpa

Default Shade Cloth for Tomatoes?

Funny thing about 'maters (I'm in Albuquerque). I've grown them
successfully for maybe 15 years now, Roma and/or Mama Mias, up until
last year. They did the same as you mention, EXCEPT for the ones that
were 'scattered' by our MinPins who dearly love to harvest them all
summer long. They grew in places I didn't put them (doggie dunits put
them there) and they produced like mad. The ones I bought from the
nursery were pathetic. I'll plant more this year but in a different area.

As for shade, can you attach a piece of the cheap fiberglass corrugated
panel somehow? 2'x8' panel costs like maybe $8 IIRC - I'm strongly
considering this myself.

I've a neighbor who does beefsteaks and for years now his are in direct
sun all day and grow beautifully. He used miracle grow FWIW, I've tried
it but not had good luck. The other stuff that should work is the mesh
sun shade most of the home centers sell, woven plastic(?) cloth.

James Cubby Culbertson wrote:

Hiya,
I tried Googling and just didn't find what I was looking for. I live
in the high desert of New Mexico and tried to grow tomatoes last year.
What a failure. Leaves shriveled and no fruit to speak of. Finally
gave up about 1/2 way through the summer. Other tomato plants that
were on the patio in shade, did very well. I'm thinking I might need
to provide some shade for the ones in the garden (there is no shade at
all). I was thinking of putting up some shade cloth but am not sure
of the type to use. The local Lowes/HD carry the cloth but it's like
rated at 75% shading. That seems to be too high but not sure. What
sort of rating on shade cloth should I be looking for to grow my
tomatoes? I grew cucumbers last year and they did better and my green
chile did very well (of course that stuff loves full time sun!). The
sun in the area, due to the altitude, is very strong (in fact ABQ was
rated as the skin cancer capital of the world some time ago!).
Thanks for any help!
Cheers,
cc