Old 22-03-2004, 05:17 AM
Nedra

Default Salt ...

Cybe R,

How many gallons in your pond? I assume you are
using a pound box of salt?
Sounds doable for my pond.

Nedra

"Cybe R. Wizard" Cybe_R_Wizard@WizardsTower wrote in message
On Mon, 22 Mar 2004 01:56:56 GMT
"RichToyBox" wrote:

There are arguments pro and con on the use of salt. I will stay out
of that argument. Most that use salt routinely will use 0.1% salt.
For treating parasites, the amount needs to be 0.3% and for some of
the salt resistant parasites, 0.6%. The only way to know how much
salt to add is to know how much salt you currently have in your pond.
Salt does not evaporate, but is reduced by water changes. Go to
http://www.click2roark.com which require registration, but a good
site, and use the salt calculator.--
RichToyBox

Have I mentioned my own solution? (no pun intended, /oh, sure/)
I drop a box of non-iodized salt with the top cut off directly into my
ponds once a year. Water changes remove it over the course of the year
and the fish self-treat by tail-fanning the salt box then swimming
repeatedly through the stirred up areas. No science behind it, but it
works for me. And the fish, I suppose, since they do pretty well.
(Until I do something /else/ stupid like last fall)

Cybe R. Wizard
--
Unofficial "Wizard of Odds," A.H.P.
Original PORG "Water Wizard," R.P.