Old 22-03-2004, 11:42 AM
Jim Elbrecht

Default Chainsaw?

Hal wrote:

On Fri, 19 Mar 2004 12:33:10 GMT, Frogleg wrote:

-snip-
Chain oil is expensive, but it isn't a good idea to try to
substitute a cheaper oil since most oils don't stick to the metal
parts like chain oil and will sling off and will not be effective.

That was how I was brought up, too-- but my 16" Remington electric
actually recommends 30 weight automotive oil.

I've used gas saws for 40 years and this is my second electric. The
first I bought 20 years ago but it was a piece of junk. Used once &
sold at a garage sale.

The Remington I bought last summer has twice the power that old beast
had- and it is lighter than my skil saw.

I don't have any illusions of going Paul Bunyan with it-- but for
trimming branches & such it is fine. [I also removed a 12" pine tree
with it last fall & it was up to the job, but a 14" Gas saw would have
made *that* job easier.]

Overall the advantages of an electric for occasional use outweigh
their low-power. The lack of noise & never having to mess with an
infernal combustion engine as well as their cost make them a good
choice.

Safety rules still apply-- though I've never seen anyone using kevlar
pants in my part of the world. [NY, USA] Hardhat, safety glasses &
a clear head will probably keep you in one piece. Watch the
branches, they are as likely to bite you as the saw is.

Jim