Old 22-03-2004, 04:37 PM
Ray Drouillard

Default Compost

"Henriette Kress" wrote in message
news
JP wrote:

Ok, the following question might sound weird... I know that I

should
put grass-clipping, leaves and fruits and vegetables cutting... But,
what kind of other food item can you put in a compost pile? Is

there
any items you SHOULD NOT put in the compost pile? (I.e.: Old milk,
yogurts or cheese? left over from beer or wine bottle? left over

from
soda bottle? what about meat left overs?)

If you want rats, foxes, cougars, bears, lynxes etc. (depending on

where
you live, of course, but rats are a given anywhere) digging over your
compost, sure, go ahead, add meat, fish, cheese, the works.

Don't forget 'possums.

We never worry about that, though. We just figure that we're feeding
the local wildlife. Of course, the compost pile is well away from the
house.

Another solution is to use one of those commercial composters that won't
let the critters get inside.

If you like wasps and the like, sure, put sugary and alcoholic drinks

into
your compost. If you'd rather not use a full beekeeper suit when

working
your compost pour the drink down the drain instead.

Yellowjackets used to be a problem under the pear tree. Compared to
that, the compost pile was never a problem. Also, if you leave them
alone, they'll leave you alone.

If you plan to use the compost as fertilizer in your garden don't put

ANY
diseased vegetables in it. A lot of diseases come through unharmed,

after
which you have that disease not in one spot but all over.

Very good point. I would like to get more information about the various
diseases, though. Some might be killed by the heat, for instance.

Also, salt and cooking oils (in large amounts) will kill off worms and
other useful compost organisms.

OK, so don't dump the deep-fat fryer there. :-)

Non-organically grown citrus fruit are _loaded_ with *cides; nothing

but
mold will touch them. You'll find them as still whole mold bombs

_months_
after everything else has turned to prime compost.

Modern 'cides are designed to be biodegradable. Let the compost pile do
its stuff and you'll be fine.

Finally, some perennial weeds thrive in compost that doesn't get hot
enough to kill'em off. Keep it tight, don't let it get too dry, and

you
won't have those all over your previously pristine garden.

Annual weeds, too.