Old 22-03-2004, 04:37 PM
Henriette Kress

Default Compost

"Ray Drouillard" wrote:

If you plan to use the compost as fertilizer in your garden don't put ANY
diseased vegetables in it. A lot of diseases come through unharmed, after
which you have that disease not in one spot but all over.

Very good point. I would like to get more information about the various
diseases, though. Some might be killed by the heat, for instance.

I'd have named them if I knew what they're called in English.

Möhöjuuri, the twisted root disease on cruciferae which stunts the
growth of cabbages etc, is one that should NEVER go into the compost.

I'd be leary of the rootrot of Jerusalem artichokes, too. And of some
(not all) diseases of roses. And potato pest, but it's possible that I'm
just overcautious on that one.

Henriette

--
Henriette Kress, AHG Helsinki, Finland