Old 22-03-2004, 04:42 PM
Starlord

Default Dahlias in Albuquerque

Steer manure is ok on top of the soil or some inchs from the tuber, it
can burn the hair fine first roots.

The Number 1 List for Dahlia people.

--
Dragons Must Fly when Thread's in the Sky

www.starlords.org

"Grandpa" jsdebooATcomcast.net wrote in message
Before going to a garden center, I thought I'd query the wonderful
knowledge base in this forum.

I obtained a half dozen different dahlias from my mom in Seattle on

recent trip and brought them back to Abq. These are ones she's

grown
for years there but none have names so a detailed info is not

available.
They grow beautifully there in sun and of course the humid

climate. I
believe they are all of the large head (3"-9") varieties, no

pompoms.

Mom said I should dig a hole 12" deep, plant the bulb(tuber) maybe

6"
deep and cover. As it sprouts to cover it more and more until its

at
regular ground level. She's been growing them for over 50 years in

the
same yard so this piece of advice is probably as sound as can be.

OK, so what do I need to do to grow them here?
- soil preparation, amendment
- full sun, partial sun or almost no sun

I was thinking peat moss and steer manure for prep. Also, almost no

sun
since the summers are so hot and I have a place on the N side of the
house where the only direct sun is a few hours in the late evening,
shaded totally until maybe 6pm in summer. Mums thrive there and

tulips
grow somewhat, no place else though, too hot. In the full sun we

had
some Figaro varieties (very small dahlias) and they were

spectacular, I
could almost hear them telling me thank you! These area different
variety though and I only have 6 to grow so I want to do it right.

TIA for all your help.
PS- library is out of books dealing with Dahliassigh......