Old 22-03-2004, 05:35 PM
Hal

Default Chainsaw?

On Mon, 22 Mar 2004 11:12:44 GMT, Jim Elbrecht
wrote:

Chain oil is expensive, but it isn't a good idea to try to
substitute a cheaper oil since most oils don't stick to the metal
parts like chain oil and will sling off and will not be effective.

That was how I was brought up, too-- but my 16" Remington electric
actually recommends 30 weight automotive oil.

Manufacturer's recommendations are usually adequate, but make a small
puddle of 30 wt. and another of chain/bar oil and put your finger in
it and watch as you slowly raise the finger to see how far the oil
strings as you lift your finger. Longer string means better hold on
metal parts and more likely to cling and not to sling off of a fast
moving chain. The electric models I've seen didn't move the chain
as fast as the gasoline models I used, but I'd still use the good
stuff on my bar and chain since that is where the most wear occurs.
I have used a mix of STP and 30 wt. oil, but STP strings well and
holds the lubricant in place.

Regards,

Hal