Old 22-03-2004, 05:59 PM
Hal

Default skimmer vs bottom drainer

On 21 Mar 2004 12:24:34 GMT, Drew Cutter wrote:

Which is more effective ?

A skimmer is designed to remove floating debris from the water
surface.
A bottom drain removes water, and hopefully some waste material from
the bottom of a pond.
I don't think I understand your question, which is more effective in
doing what? If the idea is pond maintenance, neither is perfect in
itself nor will either be an adequate cure all for pond problems.

I have a bottom drain that carries some waste material to the filter
barrels where I vacuum it out periodically. I don't have a skimmer,
but can't see it being as much an asset as a bottom drain. During
windy periods I wish I had a skimmer, but I use a dip net and don't
think about a skimmer again until the wind blows again.

If you have a pond without a bottom drain or a skimmer you can simply
use a dip net on top and vacuum the debris off the bottom and keep
your pond clean without either.

Regards,

Hal