Old 22-03-2004, 06:59 PM
Colonel Bloomer

Default Lack of invertebrates / house sparrows (was Reed Buntings)

On Mon, 22 Mar 2004 17:20:45 +0000 (UTC), "W K"
wrote:

"Colonel Bloomer" wrote in message
.. .
On Mon, 22 Mar 2004 11:59:32 +0000 (UTC), "W K"
wrote:

"Colonel Bloomer" wrote in message
.. .

Shame the RSPB are not inclined to spend some of our millions and do
some serious research into this decline

They do.

Really! where?

You may have seen, in this thread, mention of a "Kate" researching this.

She is having her research funded in part by the RSPB.
http://www.birdfood.co.uk/cj/project_hssparrow.htm

Not really an all guns blazing contribution is it, doubtful it even
reaches four figures in total. I'd have thought given the fact they
rake in £50million PA and spend £7million PA on advertising, they
could afford to at least show a real interest in finding out why the
situation is so serious and not only for sparrows.

Better to do it before it's too late I'd suggest.

The first place to start might be to look at where the populations are
stable or expanding, and then see what's missing in declining regions.

This should also have been carried out years ago, but I guess we're
only talking about sparrers!!