Old 22-03-2004, 08:33 PM
shazzbat

Default Compost

"Henriette Kress" wrote in message
"Ray Drouillard" wrote:

If you plan to use the compost as fertilizer in your garden don't put

ANY
diseased vegetables in it. A lot of diseases come through unharmed,

after
which you have that disease not in one spot but all over.

Very good point. I would like to get more information about the various
diseases, though. Some might be killed by the heat, for instance.

I'd have named them if I knew what they're called in English.

Möhöjuuri, the twisted root disease on cruciferae which stunts the
growth of cabbages etc, is one that should NEVER go into the compost.

That sounds like what we call club root in UK. Best avoided by crop
rotation, but that is a good practice anyway, simple logic dictates.

And potato pest, but it's possible that I'm
just overcautious on that one.

Blight?

I would say don't put anything diseased in the compost, if in doubt burn it,
but it doesn't do to be too paranoid, you don't want to worry yourself into
an early grave. After all you can't avoid every pest and disease in the
world.

And anyway if you did, you'd get run over by a truck.

Steve
http://mysite.freeserve.com/steveandmaggiesplot

..