Old 22-03-2004, 08:34 PM
Henriette Kress

Default Compost

"shazzbat" wrote:
"Henriette Kress" wrote in message

Möhöjuuri, the twisted root disease on cruciferae which stunts the
growth of cabbages etc, is one that should NEVER go into the compost.

That sounds like what we call club root in UK. Best avoided by crop
rotation, but that is a good practice anyway, simple logic dictates.

Crop rotation, eh.

It stays in the soil for 10 years, and any cruciferous weed will carry
it forward. Best not get it in the first place, as it's impossible to
keep a non-cruciferous vegetable garden for 10 years. You might not
_plant_ radishes rockets cabbages etc., but you'll _get_ shepherd's
purse Thlaspi yellow rockets etc. anyway.

And if you do get clubroot: whatever you do, don't put the diseased
plants into your compost.

And potato pest, but it's possible that I'm
just overcautious on that one.

Blight?

That's the one.

Henriette