Old 22-03-2004, 09:02 PM
Mary Fisher

Default Tea Leaves Down Sink Or Compost / Garden ?

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message
In article ,
Martin wrote:

Any thoughts on suitability for using tea leaves in garden etc or for
clearing sink drain ?

Don't put green tea leaves down the sink - they are much larger and
more durable and will block it - the fermentation to make black tea
breaks them up.

We only drink green tea of various kinds, some have very big leaves - many
times a day.

We make tea in a Bodum filter teapot, the inner canister and the plunger
dan't be cleared of tea leaves except by washing.

Being a keen composter I shake as many of the leaves into the kitchen
compost container but the rest go down the sink waste. In forty years we've
never had a blocked waste. Some leaves stay trapped in the basket, I either
pick them out or poke them down, depending how far they've made their own
way.

There's no problem either way. Tea leaves make up an extremely small part of
our compost, we eat huge amounts of vegetables, quite a lot of fruit, have
hen waste and garden waste and shreddings ... to say nothing of cardboard
and other less obvious items.

Mary

Mary

Regards,