Old 22-03-2004, 09:35 PM
Rob Halgren

Default Gibberellic acid

Larry Dighera wrote:

On Sat, 28 Feb 2004 13:33:05 -0800, profpam wrote in

The Press Enterprise article (2/28/04) -- Plant Food Makes Massive
Impression -- cites a new product --MegaGro, containing Gibberellic
acid.

Has anyone used this product on orchids?

I haven't tried it yet, but here's some information and an inexpensive
source for Gibberellic Acid-3:
http://www.crfg.org/tidbits/gibberellic.html

http://www.jlhudsonseeds.net/GibberellicAcid.htm

This comes up every so often, actually. However, being an 'old
fuddy-duddy' (technical term) myself, I'd probably avoid it. Jim Brasch
(http://www.orchidmall.com/hormones/) probably knows more than anybody I
know. He'd be my choice to answer a few questions.

Anyway, cytokines work differently in different tissues, and the
results can be different between genera, as well. So I wouldn't
generalize too much. Also, you may force flowering or growth, but is
that necessarily a good thing? If the plant isn't ready, you can bloom
it to death. That may work for the potted plant trade, but I'd wager
that you are more interested in keeping a specimen around for a while.
That isn't meant to discourage experimentation (go for it), but you
might want to experiment on some plants that you don't have a particular
attachment to. You may get excellent results, and if you do I'm sure a
lot of people would be interesting in hearing about it.

2a. See rule 1
3) Sure beats working...