Old 22-03-2004, 10:04 PM
simy1

Default Compost

"Ray Drouillard" wrote in message ...
"Henriette Kress" wrote in message
"Ray Drouillard" wrote:

If you plan to use the compost as fertilizer in your garden don't

put ANY
diseased vegetables in it. A lot of diseases come through

unharmed, after
which you have that disease not in one spot but all over.

Very good point. I would like to get more information about the

various
diseases, though. Some might be killed by the heat, for instance.

I'd have named them if I knew what they're called in English.

Möhöjuuri, the twisted root disease on cruciferae which stunts the
growth of cabbages etc, is one that should NEVER go into the compost.

I'd be leary of the rootrot of Jerusalem artichokes, too. And of some
(not all) diseases of roses. And potato pest, but it's possible that

I'm
just overcautious on that one.

What do you do with the diseased plants? Toss them into the trash?
Burn them? Bury them really deep?

I have tossed smut (No, not that kind of smut! I'm talking about the
black stuff that grows on corn plants) into the burn pile. I have also
tossed it into the back of the property because nobody grows corn near
there.

Ray Drouillard

I take all suspicious material (squashes, tomatoes, and cabbages) to a
place on my lawn, 50 to 100 ft from the garden (these are places which
have trouble supporting a thick lawn), and mow it into bits. It
becomes grass eventually. If i want some grass clippings for mulch, I
take them from other parts of the yard. I also precompost (rot)
kitchen scraps in a garbage can before adding to compost pile. Yes, I
have a lot of spce, but also a lot of clean leaves to cover the mess
before anyone notices the odor.