Old 22-03-2004, 10:32 PM
Salty Thumb

Default Should I seed directly or sprout and transplant

Dwight Sipler wrote in
:

Salty Thumb wrote:
...Transplanting is good if you want to get a jump on the season and
start
your seeds in a warmer location. Some plants (i.e. peppers) resent
being transplanted. In this case you would use a biodegradable
container and transplant the whole container to avoid disturbing the
roots...

I've been transplanting peppers for a long time without problems
(other than things like cutworms). In fact for a couple years I bought
pepper plants that were shipped bare root. However, melons really
benefit from the peat pot or equivalent treatment. Also, peppers
really like being germinated in a warm location (like soil temperature
75F), so they benefit from transplanting.

oops, I meant 'e.g. peppers' not 'i.e. peppers', but now that Dwight has
pointed that out, I actually meant 'e.g. melons' sheepish :-)