Old 23-03-2004, 11:02 AM
Loki

Default Compost

il Mon, 22 Mar 2004 17:06:53 +0200, Henriette Kress ha scritto:

"Ray Drouillard" wrote:

If you plan to use the compost as fertilizer in your garden don't put ANY
diseased vegetables in it. A lot of diseases come through unharmed, after
which you have that disease not in one spot but all over.

Very good point. I would like to get more information about the various
diseases, though. Some might be killed by the heat, for instance.

I'd have named them if I knew what they're called in English.

Möhöjuuri, the twisted root disease on cruciferae which stunts the
growth of cabbages etc, is one that should NEVER go into the compost.

Love the name! :-) "Clubroot' here.

I have a basic rule of thumb, anything with viruses or diseases gets
burnt at the end of its life, or weed seeds that I'm tired of. The
books talk of autumn cleanup to remove the dropped diseased leaves of
plants as a way of reducing the disease.
I've even been known to strip the black spot leaves off the rose
before they drop, to burn them. I've been promising myself to clean
the garden up and spray for rust because it is just getting too
prevalent. Some plants just get coated. It really needs a flame
thrower through the garden to clean it up but I suspect the
neighbours may object.

--
Cheers,