Old 23-03-2004, 01:02 PM
Dwight Sipler

Default Should I seed directly or sprout and transplant

Speaking of melons, for those of us in northern areas where the growing
season might be a bit shorter than the melons would like, it helps to
start the melons early. That means putting them out when the temperature
is a bit lower than they might like.

To do this succesfully, you have to take some pre-measures to warm the
soil. Black plastic helps, although clear plastic warms the soil faster.
However, clear plastic allows weeds to grow under it. My solution is a
two-stage soil covering: black plastic on the soil and clear plastic
over top of that, supported by hoops. Put some drip irrigation under the
black plastic. I generally use the clear slitted row cover which is
available at agricultural supply places, but I don't know how short a
section you can get. I use full rolls.

When you put the coverings on the soil, plant some melons in peat pots.
When the melons get a couple of true leaves (a couple of weeks), peel
back the slitted row cover, poke a hole in the black plastic, make some
mud in the hole and put the peat pot in (trying not to disturb the melon
roots too much). Then put the slitted row cover back on. You can now
water the melons through the drip irrigation and leave the clear slitted
plastic on until the melons start to poke through the slits in earnest
(the first few leaves coming through should be pushed back in). Don't
worry about the melons in hot weather: they love hot weather. It might
get to 120F under there. Great for melons. As long as they get enough
water.

Before I started doing this I used to plant watermelons when the soil
warmed up naturally (in New England) and get them about mid-september.
With this treatment they come in by early to mid August. There's no
market for watermelons after labor day, so it helps me a lot.