Old 23-03-2004, 01:17 PM
Frogleg

Default Compost

On 22 Mar 2004 05:32:56 -0800, (JP) wrote:

Ok, the following question might sound weird... I know that I should
put grass-clipping, leaves and fruits and vegetables cutting... But,
what kind of other food item can you put in a compost pile? Is there
any items you SHOULD NOT put in the compost pile? (I.e.: Old milk,
yogurts or cheese? left over from beer or wine bottle? left over from
soda bottle? what about meat left overs?)

Keeping the pile strictly vegan (except for rinsed, crumbled
eggshells) minimizes problems with odor and animal attraction. Some
people do 'compost' meat and bones in a 'hot' pile, but few use it as
a place to put *all* their garbage. The purpose of composting isn't to
dispose of garbage; it's to produce a healthy organic soil ammendment
for your garden.