Old 23-03-2004, 01:17 PM
TRAINMAN9

Default Old AOS Bulletins

The second thing that I noticed was how many vendors that no longer are in
business 30 years later.

We were one of those vendors who advertised in both the AOS Bulletin and Orchid
Digest in the 80's. When we first started the commercial end of the business we
had an active paph hybridizing program with about 25 crosses using mostly
multi-flowering species or primary hybrids.

Unfortunately we made a poor business decision and abandoned our breeding
program and concentrated on importing asian species and buying plants from
wholesale sources.

Back then it took a long time to get a business established and when it seemed
that we were finally making progress my partner disagreed on the direction we
should take and the business was closed down.

The house where our greenhouse was located was sold after my partner's father
died. The greenhouse is now gone without a trace. The only thing left is the
small storage shed and the work room we built.

The name of the company was "Crystal Orchids" and it was located in
Harleysville Pa.