Old 23-03-2004, 03:02 PM
Tyra Trevellyn

Default Poppies

From: "Paul E. Lehmann"
Date: Sun, Mar 21, 2004 8:40 AM
Andrea Bostrom wrote:

From: zxcvbob

Just scratch the surface with a rake and sprinkle them around. Be sure

plant early enough for the seeds to get frosted a few times -- they like
that.

Best regards,
Bob

Thanks Bob. I'm planning to put them out tomorrow. I didn't

know
they
liked frost and we will still likely have a couple here. This is my first
attempt with poppies. From what I understand, they reseed themselves

as
well. I want something that comes back each year and is not care
intensive.

Andrea

Warning about poppies - Our archaic drug laws state that if you "Know" that
you can get opium from poppies then you are subject to arrest for growing
them. If, however, you are ignorant of that fact then supposedly you are
not subject to arrest.

I'm wondering if there is still a U.S. prohibition about planting/growing
Papaver somniferum. I've noticed that many seed catalogs have started offering
them again after a gap of several years. (I ordered some this year from
Pinetree, and could have ordered them from any number of catalogs I've
received.) Perhaps the powers-that-be came to their senses?

Best,
Tyra
nNJ usa z7