Old 23-03-2004, 04:03 PM
PK

Default New Patio on Old Concrete

Nick Maclaren wrote:
In article m,
Tom Redpath writes:
Good Afternoon, I have not posted here before but as a novice
gardener atemmpting my first big project I would really appreciate
some advice. I have just moved into a property with an old, cracked
and slightly unevenr concrete patio. I want to relay this with
flags but am unsure whether I would need to rip up the old patio,
screed it level or simply put down a good layer of sand to level it
off before laying slabs... Anyone have any hints and tips?

The latter is fine, if increasing the height by 3-4" will not cause a
problem.

Yes and no! Sand alone will not make a secure long term base - it will wash
out and ants will move it.

Better to either use a proper dry mix of sharp sand and cement -

pk