Old 23-03-2004, 04:47 PM
Mike

Default New Patio on Old Concrete

"Tom Redpath" wrote in message
s.com...
Good Afternoon, I have not posted here before but as a novice gardener
atemmpting my first big project I would really appreciate some advice.
I have just moved into a property with an old, cracked and slightly
unevenr concrete patio. I want to relay this with flags but am unsure
whether I would need to rip up the old patio, screed it level or simply
put down a good layer of sand to level it off before laying slabs...
Anyone have any hints and tips?
--
Tom Redpath

Tom. I am not a gardener on the plant and seed side. Her out of doors is
that. 'My' gardening is making paths, putting fences up etc etc etc.

We had a dreadful uneven and cracked concrete area outside out new patio
doors. Got a man to come and give us an estimate to make a nice new slabbed
area. He came, looked at it and said 'I will have to bring my mate round to
help me quote. Be back on Tuesday'

I don't know why, but I assumed it would be the next Tuesday. Silly me. That
was last year and he didn't come, maybe he means the corresponding Tuesday
this year;-}

Tom I measured up how many slabs I wanted, had them delivered with some bags
of sand, started in one corner, making up with sand here, and bashing away
the concrete there. Concentrated on one slab at a time. Level this way,
slight fall that way.

The most slabs I laid in a day was 4.

Got it done in about 2 months, bit at a time, including making five brick
steps to take into account of the rise of the land.

Main patio area outside patio door, 8 2'x2' wide and 4 2'x2' deep.

2 steps each of 2 2'x2' slabs wide, slab path of 5 2'x2' and another path of
8 2'x2'

51 slabs

If I can do it with a bad back and arthritis in both knees, anyone can do
it.
(If you are on the Isle of Wight you can come and see it;-}

Mike