Old 23-03-2004, 05:07 PM
Victoria Clare

Default jasmine for mother's day - help!!!

klara King wrote in
:

In the meanwhile, do you have a porch window sill or a window that
doesn't have a radiator right underneath it? I think it should do
fine there for a few months.

Skirting board radiators all around, but the heat is more diffused.
The choice is south- or north-facing (or west in the kitchen), but
googling disagrees on whether they like direct sun.

Well, the one I had was on the sunniest wall I own, so I think they can
handle it. It's been said here that a lot of things that don't like summer
sun further south cope with what we get of it perfectly well.

I'm not sure how they compare with wisteria in terms of hardiness - anyone
else? I'd guess less hardy than wisteria, but I don't know.

I wonder how house plants know that it's central heating and not a hot
country. Is it the dryness? Would lots of misting help?

You are out of my depth now, but I'm guessing it's the dryness,
particularly at the roots - it's so easy for a pot near a radiator to dry
out so quickly. Lots of water.

Victoria