Old 23-03-2004, 06:04 PM
crom

Default Hebe and honeysuckle (earnest) pruning?

Hello all,

Can anyone offer me some advice about these two plants. We moved into
an old house where the garden has been left to go a little wild(!) We
didn't do much to the plant life last year (waiting to see what would
appear etc) but now have some firm plans.

There is a hebe that has got very woody and patchy but still has new,
healthy shoots appearing now about 2 feet off the ground. The
gardening book we have says 'gentle clipping in March'. But is it
possible to cut is back hard and encourage growth from the woody
stems?

The same question about the honeysuckle really. This too has plenty of
twisted, woody stems - very thick in places - and no foliage until you
get to about 4-5 feet from the ground.

Any help would be most appreciated.

Cheers,
Crom