Old 23-03-2004, 06:34 PM
Tim Tompkins

Default J&P on Fortuniana root stock

Growers usually choose their root stock based upon the soil conditions in
their area.

Fortuniana is a popular root stock for the south east since it performs well
in the local soils.

J&P does not produce all of the roses that bear their name tag, it is very
likely that there is a 'contract grower' in Floridia using fortuniania for
sales & distribution in the south east.

The J&P roses grown in the north west are most always on Dr. Huey and
occasionaly multiflora.

J&P has recently been promoting 'own root' roses, these are usually
varieites that will root easily and produce sellable plants in the same time
frame of grafted plants.

Keep in mind that grafting us usually a production technique to get the
greatest result in the shortest time.

Tim.

"torgo" wrote in message
I just returned from a work trip to central Florida. On the way home,
I stopped by several nurseries and garden centers searching for roses
from Nelson's, which uses Fortuniana root stock.

One place I visited had J&P roses that were identified as Fortuniana
root stock in addition to the ones from Nelson's. I was curious,
since I had never seen or heard that J&P used Fortuniana before. The
manager explained that the J&P roses distributed in Florida came from
a Florida based grower / supplier.

I was still a little skeptical, but the roses had J&P tags that
specifically advertised the Fortuniana root stock. So, I picked up a
Flirtatious and a Fragrant Cloud from J&P in addition to a Perfect
Moment and a St. Patrick from Nelson's.

And then I arrived back in Atlanta just before midnight last night -
just in time to enjoy the sub-freezing temperature while still dressed
for the hot afternoon in Florida. Yikes - I thought it was supposed
to be spring now ! Where did this come from???