Old 23-03-2004, 07:24 PM
Red

Default New Red Oak

Depending on the size of the tree, a 3-4 inch layer of mulch around the base
out at least 2 feet, more if it is bigger, will do a lot to help stabilize
the moisture content. When the soil under the mulch is dry down a couple of
knuckles deep then it is time for a good, slow, deep soaking. You can't
water too much at any one time when water is called for but you can water
too often. A couple of gallons of Hasta Grow solution every month at the
watering time will also help. Avoid just sprinkling a little bit on the
surface but if you are going by with the hose a good shower over the entire
tree is helpful anytime. If you see the tips of the leaves start to turn
brown then you are either watering too much or not enough. You will have to
decide which it is as it is a sign of root problems. Most of the time it is
a case of too much water. Good Luck.

"BJ in Texas" wrote in message
Planted a Texas Red Oak (Quercus texana) this spring.
I know it will require watering for a while.

Any ideas on how often and how much? Of course the
amount of rain we get will also affect this.

Would deep watering with a hose attachment be better
than surface watering?

BJ in Texas
Address munged, make the obvious change.