Old 23-03-2004, 10:35 PM
madgardener

Default Bee Balm Seedlings

don't hack, share...........I'll take a hunk of it when you thin yours out
madgardener
"Suja" wrote in message
Fleemo wrote:

Two seasons ago, I planted some Jacob Kline Monarda in the garden, and
had wonderful results. Last season, dozens of seedlings grew in the
same area, but not a single one grew to maturity. This year I have
lots of seedlings again and would like to ensure they grow to blooming
stage. What might I do to enhance their chance of success? Should I
thin out the seedlings so they don't compete with each other?
Fertilize frequently? Any advice appreciated.

Seedlings? Are you sure? Monarda generally spreads (quite vigorously)
from root. The clump just keeps getting bigger, and if you aren't
careful, will take over the entire bed. I planted a few Jacob Kline
last spring (tiny plants from Bluestone), and they have already spread
about a foot in each direction. I'll be hacking away at it to keep them
in-bounds.

Suja