Old 23-03-2004, 11:53 PM
K Barrett

Default Old AOS Bulletins

"Gene Schurg" wrote in message
link.net...
Yesterday I picked up a bunch of old copies of the AOS Bulletins. People
bring them to the society meetings all the time but I never really thought
I'd read old magazines. What a blast!

The first think that jumped out when I was reading 30 year old issues

(1974)
was there was no web sites or email addresses. You actually had to write

letter or call people to order something. We take this for granted today.
I seldom read an ad today that doesn't have a reference to the web to see
more about the product.

I picked up a bunch of old magazines called 'The Paphiopedilum World'
published in Southern California, but with a world wide distribution. It
went out of business in the late 70s. I too was struck not only by the need
to phone or write to everyone for information, but that THEY WROTE BACK!
What a concept! Also there were several articles about how people traded
paphs across international borders with aplomb, CITES had either just been
enacted or was about to be enacted. Made me very jealous.

It seems that more species were sold in 1974 than are advertized today.

I noticed the same thing, but even in the short time I've been growing
orchids. Used to be I'd look at the ads in the back of the mag and I had no
idea what these species names were! I had to look up each and everyone.
Now there are almost *no* species vendors. Just Countryside, and Andy's.

My
speculation is that 30 years ago duplication of plants was by division, so
awarded plants were just not available like today.

Very true. Flasking happened in the mid 50s, no? Mericloning even later.

The articles seem to be focused more on problems and culture. I'm finding
them interesting and fun to read. Wouldn't it be nice if someone compiled

"Best of AOS Bulletin" book comprised of the best articles of the past 50
years? I'd buy it.

That was one of the intents for the web page, making a 'Best Of' section.
Whether it was to be a Members Only section of what. They never got too far
along that discussion.

If you get a chance to get some old copies of the magazine pick them up

and
take a look. They do make fun reading.

I agree. They are a great learning tool.

K Barrett