Old 24-03-2004, 05:07 AM
Gail Futoran

Default SNAILS WANTED

"jammer" wrote in message
I am in zone 7 (Fort Worth) and I had some little black

snails that
didn't make it through the winter. Does anyone have some

they could
send me that wont eat plants but will eat algae? I could

pay postage.

Jammer, are you referring to the Japanese Trapdoor
Snails? I believe those are the most beneficial
snails in a pond. I might have some that survived
"winter" (not much of one down here in San Antonio).
If that's what you're looking for, I'll check my ponds
to see if I have any to spare.

Here's one website (not mine) with a description:
http://www.pondscaper.com/critterssnail.html

I have a ton of common Ramshorn snails. I haven't
noticed they damage the plants but I only have hardy
water lilies, some kind of common rush, hornwort
& anacharis, so I can't guarantee they wouldn't harm
other types of plants. And they are prolific. You
probably don't want those, but if you do, I could
send dozens, which will probably be hundreds
by the time they reach you.

Gail
San Antonio TX