Old 24-03-2004, 03:19 PM
Sunflower

Default J&P on Fortuniana root stock

"Dick Zielinski" wrote in message
news
On Tue, 23 Mar 2004 11:20:03 -0700, "Tim Tompkins"
wrote:

Growers usually choose their root stock based upon the soil conditions in
their area.

snip

Ok, that sounds like a real plus. But how can I know what soil
condition a particular rose or rootstock is intended for. And how does
one know what rootstock is being used... unlike fruit trees,I've never
seen it listed.

Dick

If you buy a grafted rose, it's 99.9% sure to be grafted onto Dr. Huey.
They only Fortuniana roses available would be in Florida, and they should be
clearly marked, because they are significantly more expensive than Huey
plants. They are also visibly different in structure, most notably, the root
system, which is broad and fibrous as opposed to the long and woody system
of Huey. Huey is especially suited to the alkaline and dry conditions of the
West. It's acceptible for Eastern acidic soils, but it's not ideal.
Multiflora is the best rootstock for most of the Eastern half of the
country, but there just aren't any commercial rose growers in this part of
the country to produce roses using multiflora. If you want multiflora,
you'll have to order from Pickering's or (horrors) Hortico in Canada, or
from Paul Zimmerman at Ashdown. Ashdown is a small operation and doesn't
carry a lot of roses, so you have to get your order in early if you want
something specific.