Old 24-03-2004, 04:52 PM
Commander Vimes

Default Brown edges to leaves

Hi all,

I am new to fishkeeping and have a 40 litre tank. I have planted the
tank with a Limnophila, a Hygrophila and a Lugwigia. The tank is
usually lit for 12-14 hours with a 15w flourecent bulb. The plants
appear to be doing well, having been in the tank for 4 weeks or so
now, but the edges of the leave on all the plants are going brown.
This is particularly true of the top leaves.

Being a newbie, I am sure I have been overfeeding the fish and have
cut back the amount I feed them as I get the impression the brown
stuff is waste product as it dries to a brown/yellow dust and is
present on the tops of my filter and heater. It also accumulates
around the edges of the tank.

I have cleaned the gravel today and conducted a 25% water change in
the hope of reducing the waste in the water (tank is fully cycled
btw).

I am not feeding the plants any nutirents.

I would therefore appreciate some advice as to whether peopel think
this is waste/algae or something else such as a nutrient deficiency.

Any advice is greatly appreciated

Vimes