Old 24-03-2004, 05:27 PM
Nick Maclaren

Default Hedging

In article ,
Henriette Kress writes:
| (Nick Maclaren) wrote:
|
| Nick: I was happy to see an old acquaintance but am no longer, because
| of the way you quote.

I am afraid that you are under a serious delusion about how posting
(and spamming) works. See below for what YOU got wrong, and some
clues about how to fix it!

| In article ,
| Henriette Kress hetta @ spamcop.net wrote:
|
| You do realize that spammers pick those ^ up? You also realize there's a
| REASON people spamtrap their addresses, namely that they're sick and
| tired of spam?

Well, of course, but I also realise how many people fail to do it
properly - which does rather account for the way that it doesn't
work for them!

| _You_ might not be sick of spam, but then, you might not have received
| thousands of junk mail, hundreds MBs (yes) of spam and viruses a month.
| There's a limit and I reached it a year or so ago.

I usually receive dozens a day, and have reached hundreds.

| 'course, I used to have my email address out there for all and sundry
| to admire, for years and years ... not anymore. That address is now
| _completely_ useless and also completely ditched. Composted. Buried
| deep. Forgotten, recycled, the letters reused for other electronic bits.

I responded using one of my newsreaders' Followup facility, which
took your Email address intact from the message you had posted.
What you have missed is that postings are based on Email, and there
is an envelope (which is used for actual delivery etc.) outside the
header that you see. It used not to be like that under Unix, but I
shall omit the history lesson :-)

Anyway, that envelope is as usable by spambots as the header - it
is just an option in your newsreader not to show it by default. For
example, here is the default output from trn:

From: Henriette Kress
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening,uk.rec.sheds
Subject: Hedging

And here is the selected output when using the verbose option:

From: Henriette Kress
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening,uk.rec.sheds
. . .

So, if you want to play the trick of hiding your address, you will
have to ensure that the Reply-To field is ALSO set to your mangled
address.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.