Old 24-03-2004, 05:55 PM
Victoria Clare

Default Any smallholders out there?

James Fidell wrote in
:

Why do you want to lay a hedge? (I have my reasons for asking...)

Some of the property we're buying has some overgrown traditional hedges.
It would be nice to remake those if at all possible. I'd also like to
disguise some of the stockproof fencing around the rest of the land with
traditional hedges wherever possible -- perhaps even completely replace
it if I can do a good enough job.

This site: http://www.hedgelayer.freeserve.co.uk/ I found very useful for
refreshing my rather old knowledge last time I had to do it.

Run by a nice bloke too: I sent him a thankyou email.

I'm not a smallholder though. I just have some hedges. If I *were* a
smallholder I think I'd get them mechanically cut: it's an awfully slow
process if you have hedge surrounding several acres to face.

Victoria
--
gardening on a north-facing hill
in South-East Cornwall