Old 24-03-2004, 06:33 PM
David J Bockman

Default Flowering hedge/border ideas

Let me come and dig them out. )

Seriously, one of my passions is bonsai, and many fine bonsai start as
foundation or hedge plantings that people don't want anymore. I'd be happy
to take a look.

Dave
703.217.2442

"Groundswell" wrote in message
gregpresley wrote:

In addition to the ones listed below, you might consider the bridal

wreath
spirea, which makes a beautiful billow of white in spring, weigela,

which
makes a splash of pink or red in early summer, (some rebloom), Viburnum
mariessei (double-file viburnum), mountain laurel (although its needs

are
similar to azalea, so it might not be successful in your site), a lilac

or
two (if you want to match sizes consult local nurseries - there are a

number
of dwarf and semi-dwarf lilacs that top out at 6 feet or so), one of

the
hardier crape myrtles they are developing at the National Arboretum,

etc.

"David J Bockman" wrote

A few traditional choices include:

Myrica pennsylvanica, Northern Bayberry, Candleberry. This would be

grown
primarily for its fruit rather than flower. The fruit is a 'drupe',

1/5" across, grayish white, covered with a waxy coating, effective

from
September through April and later of the following year, borne in

great
quantities and usually covering the stems of female plants. Very
attractive.

Berberis thunbergii, Japanese Barberry. Hundreds of cultivars

available.
A nice combo is a mass planting of a red form interspersed here and

there
with a chartreuse-green form such as 'Aurea'.

Viburnum trilobum 'Compactum', American Cranberrybush Viburnum. Great
flowers, fruit, and foliage.

Cornus sericea, Redosier Dogwood. This is very nice in winter if you

have
a contrasting color behind it to show off the rich red canes.

Thanks for all of the suggestions. These are a great starting point.

One followup question I have is what to do about the existing hedge --

part of it
is yew and part is boxwood.

Is it possible to cut down the existing plants to the ground and just

plant around
the roots, or am I doomed to a major excavation project? I'm willing to

put up
with a certain amount of cutting back of volunteer sprouts from the

existing roots,
on the assumption that this will stop over time.

I'd really rather not have to pay for the Bobcat or the gang of college

kids with
picks and shovels to unroot the existing hedge, if I can avoid it.