Old 25-03-2004, 03:54 AM
Anonymous

Default Soil Test

On Mon, 22 Mar 2004 09:37:39 -0500, Ray Drouillard wrote:

"JP" wrote in message
m...
I am planning to start a vegetable garden this year, I have been
preparing the ground... The best place to have my garden is where the
previous home-owners dumped their firewood ashes (and God knows what
else!). I am planning on having the soil tested by the local Ag.
Cooperative Extension... The list of chemicals they can test is VERY
extensive (and each test cost more). I am planning the basic test (this
will tell me if it is a suitable place to grow anything...), but what
kind of other test should have them do? Should I have them test for
Arsenic? Asbestos? Benzene? Cyanide? Lead? Mercury? Any other metals or
mineral?
I am planning to raise a fammily and I do not want to make anyone of us
sick... any inputs you may provide is welcome! Cheers!
Save Antartica

Heavy metals are definitely the thing to test for. Don't worry about
cyanide or benzene. You won't find cyanide there, and benzene will go
away very soon if the soil is moist and fertile. The stuff is
biodegradable. Also, asbestos isn't a problem unless you grind it up and
breathe it.

Ray Drouillard

Add organic matter to the testing regimen. Do you have any sound reason to
suspect heavy metal contamination?

Bill
--
http://cannaday.us (genealogy)