Old 25-03-2004, 04:12 AM
Anonymous

Default Compost - how to use

On Wed, 24 Mar 2004 09:58:41 +0200, Henriette Kress wrote:

Grandpa jsdebooATcomcast.net wrote:

I expect it's typically turned into the soil but how about a layer in
the hole where a tomato plant might go for instance? Also, any benefit
to spreading it around the plants on top of the ground?

Tomatoes potatoes chilis and pumpkins/squashes can take compost straight,
so go ahead.
Most other plants will croak if planted in compost - it's just too strong.

Henriette

IIRC, compost generally assays out at about 1-1-1. It's not too strong. If
anything, its value as a fertilizer is over-rated. Perhaps you were
thinking about straight, uncomposted, manures?

I can think of no garden plant that doesn't benefit from the use of
compost whether used as a mulch or forked into the ground. Just plan on a
solid 2" or more when used as a mulch. If you haven't enough to go around,
spread it thick as far as you can and go make some more for the rest of
the garden.

Bill

--
http://cannaday.us (genealogy)