Old 25-03-2004, 08:35 AM
Henriette Kress

Default Compost - how to use

Anonymous wrote:
Henriette Kress wrote:

Tomatoes potatoes chilis and pumpkins/squashes can take compost straight,
so go ahead.
Most other plants will croak if planted in compost - it's just too strong.

IIRC, compost generally assays out at about 1-1-1. It's not too strong. If
anything, its value as a fertilizer is over-rated. Perhaps you were
thinking about straight, uncomposted, manures?

Wormcompost. Very very strong.

After my first year of wormcomposting, indoors, I had a bucketful or two
of prime compost, and used that for planting. The only thing that survived
was tomatoes and sweet peppers; everything else croaked. Diluting 1:1:1
with sand and peat would have made for very good planting soil.

Granted, normal garden compost generally isn't that strong.
But pumpkins and squashes need planting on last years' compost heap,
for real growing power.

Henriette (Aaaah, run, the spaghetti squash is coming this way!)

--
Henriette Kress, AHG * * * * * * * * * * *Helsinki, Finland
Henriette's herbal homepage: http://www.ibiblio.org/herbmed