Old 25-03-2004, 08:50 AM
torgo

Default J&P on Fortuniana root stock

If in doubt, assume it's Dr. Huey. That's the main one the mass
distributors use. If you're buying from a small independent grower,
just ask. They might even be able to use/order multiple root stocks
or do own-root upon request.

Dr. Huey does acceptably well in most parts of the country, which
makes it the primary choice for Weeks, J&P, etc. Fortuniana does
exceptionally well in very hot climates, which is why the Florida
growers use it.

If you prefer Multiflora, check out Ashdown Roses. If you need
Fortuniana, thus far Muncy's is the only place I know that does mail
order. (Nelson's is planning on adding internet orders soon.) For
own root, check out Sequoia, Roses Unlimited, Ashdown, etc (too many
other small growers to name them all.)

And if Dr. Huey is right for your location, congratulations! They're
everywhere, and they're cheaper than Fortuniana. Try Wayside Gardens,
S&W Greenhouse, or even your local Wal-Mart.

On Wed, 24 Mar 2004 01:33:38 GMT, Dick Zielinski
wrote:

On Tue, 23 Mar 2004 11:20:03 -0700, "Tim Tompkins"
wrote:

Growers usually choose their root stock based upon the soil conditions in
their area.

snip

Ok, that sounds like a real plus. But how can I know what soil
condition a particular rose or rootstock is intended for. And how does
one know what rootstock is being used... unlike fruit trees,I've never
seen it listed.

Dick