Old 25-03-2004, 08:42 PM
Diana Kulaga

Default orchids toxic to cats?

As already stated, no toxidity. As far as the cat being afraid of the
Brassia, my guess is that the size and shape of the flowers spook the poor
thing. Remember, cats do not have good "close-up" eye sight. At close
range, they see mostly shape and, of course size. So this cat may perceive
the Brassia to be a larger animal, and fear a predator, especially if there
is the slightest movement of the flowers.

I'm lucky, I guess. I hear all kinds of horror stories about cats attacking
orchids, but ours doesn't. He likes to walk among them, and nuzzle our
largest Dendrobium, but never a bite or scratch. We don't let him do it
often, because at 15 pounds he might accidentally knock one over.

Diana