Old 26-03-2004, 01:44 AM
Nedra

Default 55 gal. drum bead filter

Drew,

Please go back and read Sameer's response... that was as good
as your likely to get. In essence he said to Wait for a season ..
then start out slowly.

Nedra

"Drew Cutter" wrote in message
In following some of the threads you've started lately, I get the

feeling
that you're new to managing a pond. I suggest that perhaps before

building
the ultimate filter system, you let it run on autopilot for a season, it
will give you an idea of what you're dealing with.

For the first season just take a drum, toss floor buffing pads, or nylon
screening material, add lots of water lilies and water hyacinths. That

will
give you an idea of what needs to be added, plus it will give you some

time
to learn from other ponders here.

Watch as the weather warms up, people will start complaining about the

short
comings of their filtering system, make notes of it, and collect ideas

for
your own pond. That's how I built my filter system. Granted it's not as
elaborate as the one you intend to make, but it does a good job for my

pond.

Sameer

My problem is that the local pond society and where I live. The pond
society is full of people who buy and not build filters . Not very
willing to build their own filters , ponds ,etc . Even the local expert
is not willing to help new people. Has a degree in horticulture and has
his own business. I have to find help outside of my area. 50 miles.
I do have a friend that has his own nursery (first person willing to
help ). He been a life saver. I live in a small valley , where run off
is common. In the spring I get 6 inches of sitting water until the
french ditch is able to send the water to the front yard. I need a
filtration system get rid of excess waste , new rain water quickly and
anything else . I've had the pond dug for three years. Trouble finding
someone willing to help me finish the pond.