Old 26-03-2004, 03:02 PM
simy1

Default Compost - how to use

(Christopher Hamel) wrote in message . com...
Henriette Kress wrote:

After my first year of wormcomposting, indoors, I had a bucketful or two
of prime compost, and used that for planting. The only thing that survived
was tomatoes and sweet peppers; everything else croaked. Diluting 1:1:1
with sand and peat would have made for very good planting soil.

Granted, normal garden compost generally isn't that strong.
But pumpkins and squashes need planting on last years' compost heap,
for real growing power.

Henriette (Aaaah, run, the spaghetti squash is coming this way!)

I have volunteer melons that grow out of my compost pile, so I'm
guessing they can handle it as well. In fact, these are
mutuant-strength plants. The seedling stems are about as big as my
thumb... well, maybe not that big, but they are definitely larger
than seedlings planted in ordinary soil.

yes, and garlic, chicory and lettuce also will grow well in compost.
Some plants, like cabbage, tatsoi, or some mustards, may prefer
slightly mellower soil.