Old 26-03-2004, 04:07 PM
Habsfan

Default My sprinklers didn't get winterized, what can I do?

Good day from Calgary!

I do have a pipe outside that I will inspect today as well as the
manifold is in ground but I can take the cover off and inspect. From
your comment below, if I had a break in the pipe do you thin the head
wouldn't pop up at all? Are the heads my concern or the pipe which is
down underground?

On Fri, 26 Mar 2004 09:48:30 -0600, "Jim" jim.morris wrote:

Greetings from Saskatchewan.,

I bought a house in the fall of 1996 with underground sprinklers and
didn't know enough to blow them out before freeze up. I lucked out and only
had a few pipes burst right at the sprinkler manifold as it was above ground
and outside. The water drained out of the sprinkler heads and went into the
pipes which didn't break.
Do you have any pipes outside that are above ground that you can see
right now?. Are they broken? If not you may have gotten lucky like I did.
Only thing you can do right now is wait till spring and turn them
on...make sure the frost is out of the ground before turning the valve
on.......look for boils of water comming up in the yard grab a shovel
....dig up the area and patch the break if there are any. If your sprinklers
pop up and start working fine, consider yourself lucky. BTW they sell the
splicing stuff at Home Depot. I'd also continue searching for your
contractor...... Hope that was of some help....Jim